Gombe Stream National Park facts. Gombe Stream National Park is a Tanzania national park in Kigoma District of Kigoma Region of Tanzania, north of Kigoma. It was established in 1968. Covering about only 35 square kilometers, Gombe Stream National park is one of the smallest Tanzania national parks and yet open to tourists who visit Tanzania on Tanzania safaris any time of the year. Gombe Stream National Park lies along the hills of the eastern shores of Lake Tanganyika, with a terrain of distinguished steep valleys, vegetation ranges of grassland to woodland to tropical rainforest which is a great inhabitant for rare primates like chimpanzees.
Gombe Stream National Park is accessible only by boat and is a Tanzania national park famous for the wonderful works of primatologist Dr. Jane Goodall. It is at the Gombe Stream National Park Tanzania that Dr. Jane Goodall pioneered her behavioural research on the chimpanzee population that inhabited and still calls the park home.
Chimpanzees are the common and most sought after Gombe National park animals that visitors visit the park for. To see the chimpanzees, travelers can do chimpanzee trekking excursions in Gombe Stream National Park for an opportunity to come up-close with the chimpanzees and spending up to 1 hour with them. All this is possible thanks to the efforts and studies of Dr. Jane Goodall.
Besides chimpanzees, there are a number of other animals in Gombe Stream national Park that travelers can see while on Tanzania safari tours in the park. Other Gombe Stream National Park animals to look out for include olive baboons, red colobus monkeys, blue monkeys, vervet monkeys, red-tailed monkeys, bush pigs, African leopards, hippos, snakes, among so many others.
Gombe Stream National Park also inhabits a number of bird species. There are over 200 bird species in Gombe Stream National Park that travelers can look out for while on Gombe Stream national Park tours.
Still wondering about the facts about Gombe Stream National Park? They are listed below;
- Smallest of Tanzania national parks. Gombe Stream National Park, also known as Gombe National park is the smallest of all the different Tanzania national parks there are in the country. Irrespective of the size however, Gombe National Park is however still an amazing Chimpanzee trekking in Tanzania safari destination, for those travelers looking to see beyond the savanna parks of Tanzania.
- Chimpanzees and Chimpanzee Trekking are most sought after. Gombe Stream National park is famous for the works of Dr. Jane Goodall on the chimpanzee population therein. It is the chimpanzees that most travelers look to encounter when they visit Tanzania on Gombe Stream National park safaris. Chimpanzee trekking therefore is the most done tourist activity in Gombe National Park.
- Other animals do inhabit the park apart from chimpanzees. Apart from chimpanzees, it is also a fact that there are other animals in Gombe National park including snakes, bush pigs, olive baboons, vervet monkeys mong so many others as listed above.
- Another of the Gombe Stream National Park facts is that it became famous after the conservation efforts of Dr. Jane Goodall. With the conservation efforts of Dr. Jane Goodall, number chimpanzees groups have been habituated following her studies, that travelers can now visit them on chimpanzee trekking safaris in Tanzania.
- It is also a fact that Gombe National park was established in 1968 in the effort to conserve and protect the different wildlife in Gombe National Park, especially the chimpanzees!
As you plan your Tanzania safari tour any time of the year, it would be great to include Gombe Stream national Park in your Tanzania safari package. Adding chimpanzee trekking in Gombe National Park on your Tanzania safari tour gives you a chance to see beyond the crowded Tanzania safari destinations famous for the big 5 animals and game drives, in the most sought after northern circuit and southern Tanzania safari destinations of Serengeti national Park, Ngorongoro Crater Tanzania, Tarangire National Park, Lake Manyara National Park, Selous Game Reserve now known as Nyerere National Park, Mikumi National Park, Ruaha National park, among so many others. Chimpanzee trekking in Gombe Stream National Park is a great way to diversify your Tanzania safari tour. Get in touch with a reputable Tanzania safari planner to help you create an amazingly unforgettable Tanzania safari tour.