Weather of Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Weather of Ngorongoro Conservation Area varies depending on the altitude because there are areas that are cold, wet with humidity, precipitation and some time the areas are rainy or sometimes sunny depending on the time or period of the year. The Crater rim normally gets clod in the evening and it can even freeze at night, therefore heavy clothes are recommended. The weather of the Ngorongoro Conservation Area has a subtropical climate which is influenced by the altitude. Ngorongoro Crater has an altitude of about 17,000 meters.
During the day, the Ngorongoro Conservation Area temperature tends to be mild and cold during the night hours. From September to April the temperature in this area rises and sometimes becomes high whereas, from May to August, the temperature becomes very low which leads to the area being cold.
In the Ngorongoro Crater Rim which is about 2,300 meters above sea level, from October to April, the temperature is 16 °Cwhile from June to August, the temperature in the Ngorongoro crater is lowered to 13-14 °C especially during the night hence a cold environment. In May to October, the temperature in the Ngorongoro crater drops up to 10 °C, not only on these months but it can happen throughout the year.
Different areas around Ngorongoro crater such as Lake Embagai and Lake Magadi which are famous by having red flamingos tend to be cold, wet and are occupied mainly by forests hence temperature on these areas is low.
Precipitation: Precipitation normally occurs to the areas located in the lower altitudes such as arid areas and warmer areas where they are dry from June and September. Ngorongoro Conservation Area also receives the rainy seasons which are divided into two seasons. First, the short rainy season which is from October to December and second the long rainy season from March to May with long rains but mostly April which is having heavy rains. Also, sometimes January and February rains can also be heavy like that for April.
Weather of Ngorongoro Conservation Area also receives little rains during the dry season which leads to the area having a small amount of sunshine and causing the area being cloudy sometimes. In Ngorongoro Conservation Area the sun can be stronger due to its location on the equator where it is located in the south of the equator with higher elevation therefore sometimes this area receives much sun.
It is highly recommended to carry or travel to Ngorongoro with heavy clothes for wearing during morning and evening game drives especially in the cold season from June to August.
Is the Ngorongoro Conservation Area safe to visit?
Ngorongoro is safe to visit if you adhere to various safety instructions and taking precautions of the particulars before traveling. When you arrive in Ngorongoro, you will meet with different staffs, fellow visitors, lodges and camps where you will be accommodated and park authorities who will ensure your safety while in Ngorongoro Conservation Area.
Some of the information that you have to be aware of are: –
Wildlife viewing Information
- Firstly, serious accidents are very rare and also listening to your guide instructions and guidelines will also keep you safe and free from small injuries that might occur.
- Be careful about the place you step when walking in the bush.
- Do not laugh or speak too loudly while in the bush.
- Use mosquitoes and insect repellant at night to keep yourself free from being bitten by such insects that might be present.
- Animals sometimes are attracted to food that you eat, so you recommended to do not leave food leftovers to your tent especially during camping.
- Respect animals, do not try to throw or show any harsh actions to animals as they can be upset.
- Never block animal’s routes especially rhino routes which are in the water as is where they depend for their safety.
- Ware less bright clothes and apply or do not spray perfume at all as some insects can be attracted to the smell of your perfume.
- When confronted by an animal, never run-walk slowly while facing the animal and ask your guide on what to do.
- On walking safari, it is good to be in groups and walk in a single file with your guide.
- Never get close to animals in Ngorongoro especially the male elephants or drive between the mother elephant and the young ones that will block the mother from seeing its young one which may lead to the mother being anger.
- If animals seem to be disturbed, you are recommended to back off especially during self-driving safaris.
- Do not sit on the car roof or hang out through the window during the drive in the park.
- For a call of nature, mainly short call(pee) while in the bush consult your guide as they are aware of the safety of the place you may help yourself.
- During canoeing, do it away from rhinos and in the shallow areas.
Safety on Malaria and Vaccinations
- Check your health and seek advice from your doctor before traveling.
- Cover up skins when in the park especially during the night or evening.
You are also recommended to book a flying doctor that will cover your health in case of anything from the day you arrive for your safari until when you depart where you will easily be assisted in the hospitals and it reduces cost.
Transport in Ngorongoro Conservation Area
- Only 4WDs vehicles are allowed in the Ngorongoro Crater
- There is no public transportation to the crater instead you can hire cars from Karatu or Mto wa Mbu
- Before paying for the car make sure that the car hired has an official license as they are the only cars allowed to enter the crater.
- During rainy season roads in the crater are also accessible with the cars with four-wheel.s
Ngorongoro Crater access roads
- Through the Eastern of the crater rim, you use the Lemala (Sopa) descent and ascent.
- At the Western end of the crater, Seneto is used for descending only.
- And along the craters, Southern rim Lerai is used for ascent only.